Electronic Technology - ELECT 251
Programmable Logic and Industrial Controls
4 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours2 Laboratory Hours
The student will use Programmable Logic Controller (PLC) and Allen-Bradley RSLogix software to convert typical hardwired electrically controlled circuitry used in industry to a computer-controlled system. Emphasis will be placed on understanding the purpose and operating features of a PLC including input/output addressing and associated commands used in the PLC program. A computer will be used to write and download a program to be tested for logical control. The student will use Linx software and networking to learn communication procedures for downloading a PLC program to the controller as well as the types of cable connections used. PanelView will be reviewed to understand its real time monitoring capability of the software. Various PLC commands will be used including internal relays, ON and OFF timers, UP and DOWN counters, subroutines, program control and math instructions.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- Windows experience is highly recommended.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Program a programmable logic controller to control a processing system.
- Perform a test to verify PLC coding.
- Write a program to make logical decisions from the status of ON/OFF inputs to control outputs such as motors and solenoids.
- Create a machine processing control repeatedly.
- Use the basic math commands in making PLC coding more efficient and powerful.
- Execute in downloading a PLC program to the controller.
- Connect the program through the network system in order to activate the PLC program.
- Connect to the controller loading from a PLC controller.
- Utilize an address labeling system in communicating software devices.
- Identify electrical symbolism for coding purposes.
- Apply PLC software using respective syntax.
- Use timers, counters, latch/unlatch, math, subroutines and sequencers.
- Use schematics software for troubleshooting process systems.
| ||251||544561||Prog Logic & Ind Controls||MEC||4||Antosh J||18/24/0||Open||$52.00||W 05:30 PM-09:24 PM MEC140
| ||251||514561||Prog Logic & Ind Controls||MEC||4||Antosh J||23/24/0||Open||$52.00||M 05:00 PM-08:54 PM MEC140
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday