Music - MUSIC 150
Introduction to Music Entrepreneurship
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course is an introduction to the inner workings of today’s music industry and to the career opportunities that exist for musicians. It seeks to dispel some of the old myths concerning “making it” as a musician and replace them with practical information which will help musicians build a career. Students will be required to organize their priorities, set attainable long-term goals and create a professional portfolio. There will be an introduction to resources in music publishing, online sales, music streaming, music production, music video production, music law and management.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Identify the major career areas of the music industry and the specific training, skills and aptitudes required for each area.
- Demonstrate professional communication and organizational skills necessary to maintain a career in the music industry.
- Create a professional portfolio specific to a career in music.
- Create a long-term and short-term plan for maintaining a career in the music industry.
- Evaluate professional organizations specific to music performers, composers, teachers and merchants.
- Differentiate between the organizations and procedures that govern music registration, copyrighting, publishing and licensing.
- Compare the responsibilities of professional music agents, managers, publicists, attorneys and arts administrators.
- Explore internet and real world resources for music marketing and self-promotion.
- Explain strategies of live music promotion, live music performance and touring.
- Explain ethical practices in the music industry.
| ||150||141850||Intro Music Entrep||RMT||3||Minnick D||14/24/0||Open||$12.00||T 06:00 PM-08:52 PM WEBWEB
| ||150||111850||Intro Music Entrep||MC||3||Minnick D||17/20/0||Open||$12.00||T 06:00 PM-08:52 PM F301
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday