Political Science - POLS 105
Survey of American Government
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours
This course is an introductory study of the American political system. Emphasis is placed on historical and contemporary political theories and ideologies as well as on political institutions, parties and interest groups. You will engage in analysis of decision-makers, power and controversial issues.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Compare major political ideologies.
- Investigate how America's founding documents provide a framework for the country's political system.
- Analyze the development of American federalism.
- Examine the constitutional limits of civil liberties and civil rights.
- Differentiate between American political parties.
- Evaluate how Congress fulfills its constitutional and democratic responsibilities.
- Evaluate how presidents fulfill their political and legal roles.
- Investigate the federal judiciary's structure and role in settling legal disputes.
- Analyze the formation and implementation of American public policy.
| ||105||112363||Survey of Am Govt||ONL||3||Thomson A||28/31/0||Open||$12.00||
| ||105||112029||Survey of Am Govt||MC||3||Kirkpatrick K||15/20/0||Open||$12.00||T R 03:30 PM-05:10 PM LA260
| ||105||112754||Survey of Am Govt||ONL||3||Thomson A||2/31/0||Open||$12.00||
| ||105||112009||Survey of Am Govt||MC||3||Kirkpatrick K||12/20/0||Open||$12.00||T R 10:30 AM-11:50 AM LA260
| ||105||112010||Survey of Am Govt||MC||3||Robinson R||15/20/0||Open||$12.00||M W 11:00 AM-12:20 PM LA270
| ||105||112011||Survey of Am Govt||MC||3||Thomson A||16/20/0||Open||$12.00||T R 11:00 AM-12:20 PM LA270
| ||105||112017||Survey of Am Govt||MC||3||Kirkpatrick K||12/20/0||Open||$12.00||T R 12:00 PM-01:20 PM LA260
| ||105||112944||Survey of Am Govt||ONL||3||Kirkpatrick K||1/20/0||Open||$12.00||
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday