Welding - WELD 211
Preparation for Welder Certification in Gas Metal Arc Welding
3 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours2 Laboratory Hours
Obtaining American Welding Society (AWS) Welder's Certification is desirable to gain acceptance into a welding-related skilled trade. Each skilled trade employment requires a unique certification, for which the student must learn skills needed for specific welding procedures and processes. This course will focus on developing the skills needed in several Semiautomatic processes/transfers to successfully pass an appropriate AWS Certified Welder performance test. Tests may be taken on ferrous or non-ferrous material, along with passing a visual and destructive examination of their weldments. To receive credit in this class, students must successfully pass an AWS Certification test on a specified procedure required for their selected welding process.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the American Welding Society (A.W.S.) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (A.S.M.E.) Welder Qualification Examinations and Certifications.
- Prepare steel plates for certification welds.
- Utilize proper welding electrodes for certification welds.
- Determine proper amperages and voltages used with certification electrodes.
- Determine proper welding polarities for certification welding.
- Classify proper weld joints and joint qualifications used in a welding certification process.
- Demonstrate the proper inner pass cleaning procedure for multi pass certification welding.
- Demonstrate the ability to weld in and out of position using the Gas Metal Arc Welding and Fluxcore Arc welding process.
- Demonstrate the ability to weld to a standard weld procedure.
- Examine welds for weld defects.
- Recognize weld discontinuities.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform destructive testing for certification welding.
| ||211||548182||GMAW Exam Prep||MEC||3||Lanczak P||7/16/0||Open||$313.00||F 06:00 PM-07:54 PM MEC420
F 08:00 PM-09:54 PM MEC440
| ||211||517157||GMAW Exam Prep||MEC||3||Lanczak P||8/15/0||Open||$313.00||F 06:00 PM-06:54 PM MEC420
F 07:00 PM-09:54 PM MEC430
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday