Frequently Asked Questions

What are the employee classifications at Schoolcraft?

  • Executive Administrators
  • Administrative Employees (SCAAPP)
  • Faculty (Faculty Forum-MEA)
  • Classified
  • Office Clerical (SCAOP-MEA)
  • Non-represented clerical employees
  • Food Service (SCAFSE-MEA)
  • Facilities Management (SCSPA-MEA)

What costs are covered under the Schoolcraft College employee tuition grant?

For eligible employees, the Schoolcraft College tuition grant covers 100% of the tuition for credit courses, and the tuition portion for continuing education classes; the grant pertains only to classes offered by Schoolcraft College. Fees, including credit by exam fees, are not covered by the grant.

How are employees notified of a College closing?

The College has an Action Alert Plan in place, which is the system for notifying employees of College closings. Each department maintains necessary information on the Action Alert for that department. Additionally, employees may listen to major metro area radio stations such as WJR or WWJ, local television stations, or may check the website. Generally, facilities management and SCSPA employees are required to work when the College is closed due to inclement weather.

Do part-time employees receive pay for holidays?

Part time employees working a regular schedule of at least twenty hours per week and at least thirty-six weeks per year will receive pay for the holidays listed below; employees receive holiday pay provided they are normally scheduled to work on the day of the week the holiday falls. Named holidays are:

  • New Year’s Day
  • Memorial Day
  • Independence Day
  • Labor Day
  • Thanksgiving Day
  • Day after Thanksgiving
  • Christmas Eve
  • Christmas Day
  • New Year’s Eve

What do I have to do if I’m called for jury duty?

If you have been called and report for jury duty, you may be entitled to receive full basic wages for the duration of the jury duty. Complete a Jury Duty Reporting form prior to service and provide it and a copy of the summons to the supervisor, and to human resources. Satisfactory evidence that the jury duty was performed is required following the service. The daily jury duty fee paid by the court must then be returned to the College.

What is a mail-order prescription drug program and to whom is it offered?

The prescription drug programs are available through MESSA, Blue Care Network & Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Michigan. Programs provide for one copayment and a 90 day supply of prescription medication delivered to your home.

When is the insurance Open Enrollment for faculty & staff members and when do changes take effect?

  • Faculty: April 1 - April 30, changes effective July 1
  • Staff: November 1 - November 30, changes effective January 1

When is the dependent care & medical spending Open Enrollment and when is the program effective?

November 1 - November 15; program effective January 1 

Who is eligible to participate in the MPSERS (Michigan Public School Employees’ Retirement System) and how can they be contacted?

This retirement program is mandatory for all College employees and their toll-free number is 1 (800) 381-5111.

Who is eligible to participate in the ORP (Optional Retirement Program)?

Regular, contract employees: Executives, Administrators, Faculty

How can I contact my insurance carrier?

  • MESSA: (800) 292-4910
  • BCBSM: (800) 637-2227
  • BCN: (800) 662-6667
  • Aetna: (877) 238-6200
  • Benefit Source: (877) 857-1453
  • Meritain Health (800) 748-0003
  • Delta Dental-MI: (800) 482-8915
  • VSP: (800) 225-5877

What is the deadline for submitting reimbursement requests for dependent care & medical spending?

No later than March 31 of the following year; expenses must have been incurred in the prior calendar year.