Culinary Arts - CUL 215
3 Credit Hours1 Lecture Hours4 Laboratory Hours
Students in this course will acquire professional skills in variations of hors d'oeuvres and savories, seasonings, condiments and stuffed meats and curing, pickling and smoking of meat, fish and poultry. Proficiencies in sausage-making, garde manger, pâtés, terrines, galantines and stuffed meats are also taught.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Prepare wet cure.
- Prepare dry cure.
- Demonstrate sound sanitation practices.
- Demonstrate cold smoking techniques.
- Demonstrate hot smoking techniques.
- Prepare Confit (preserved in fat).
- Explain pellicle (dry surface of smoked proteins).
- Demonstrate sound butchery skills.
- Demonstrate basic grind method as it pertains to sausage production.
- Demonstrate a primary bind as it pertains to sausage production.
- Produce smoked proteins.
- Produce dry cured meats.
- Prepare fresh sausage.
- Prepare smoked sausage.
- Demonstrate sausage stuffing techniques.
- Demonstrate proper seasoning techniques.
- Produce emulsified sausage (fat suspended in protein).
- Explain the primary role of salt in the charcuterie kitchen.
- Produce naturally fermented salami.
- Identify the four basic forcemeats.
- Explain the process of corning.
- Produce country-style terrines.
- Produce gratin forcemeats.
- Produce straight forcemeats.
- Produce mousseline forcemeats.
- Explain the process of forcemeat emulsion.
- Produce canapés.
- Prepare hot appetizers.
- Prepare cold hors d'oeuvres.
- Explain the role garnishes have in the garde manger kitchen.
- Demonstrate how to utilize byproducts.
- Produce condiments that compliment charcuterie products.
- Explain the importance of charcuterie products on a modern menu.
| ||215||143713||Charcuterie||MC||3||Polcyn B||2/6/0||Open||$449.00||T W R F 10:30 AM-02:20 PM VT625
| ||215||143739||Charcuterie||MC||3||Polcyn B||0/8/0||Closed||$449.00||T W R F 10:30 AM-02:20 PM VT625
| ||215||143743||Charcuterie||MC||3||Polcyn B||1/6/0||Open||$449.00||T W R F 10:30 AM-02:20 PM VT625
| ||215||113713||Charcuterie||MC||3||Polcyn B||6/6/0||Open||$449.00||T W R F 10:30 AM-02:20 PM VT625
| ||215||113739||Charcuterie||MC||3||Polcyn B||6/6/0||Open||$449.00||T W R F 10:30 AM-02:20 PM VT625
| ||215||113743||Charcuterie||MC||3||Polcyn B||6/6/0||Open||$449.00||T W R F 10:30 AM-02:20 PM VT625
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday