Health Information Technology - HIT 120
Foundations of Health Information Management Technology
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours1 Laboratory Hours
This course provides an introduction to the U.S. healthcare industry and to the health information management profession. Topics include an overview of the evolution of healthcare systems in the U.S. and trends for the future. Health record content, documentation requirements, secondary data sources and the influence of accrediting and regulatory bodies that govern health information will be reviewed. Information processes and relationships among organizational departments and healthcare providers will also be addressed. The educational and certification requirements for health information professionals will be examined. Hands-on laboratory activities will help the student to gain proficiency in basic health information functions. Electronic health record applications will be utilized.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Summarize the evolution of the Health Information Management profession.
- Explain the basic organization of the U.S. healthcare delivery system.
- Describe the differing types of organizations, services and personnel and their interrelationships across the health care delivery system.
- Apply laws, accreditation, licensure and certification standards related to healthcare initiatives.
- Describe the functions, purpose and users of health information.
- Describe documentation content of health records.
- Differentiate the roles and responsibilities of various providers and disciplines to support documentation requirements throughout the continuum of healthcare.
- Verify the documentation in the health record is timely, complete and accurate.
- Compare health record formats, numbering and filing systems.
- Explain the importance of clinical terminologies, classification and code systems to healthcare.
- Collect basic health data.
- Identify primary and secondary data sources.
- Demonstrate the technical skills necessary to access and navigate an electronic health record (EHR) system.
- Utilize library research techniques including online references and internet-based sites.
| ||120||247262||Foun Hlth Info Mgmt||RC||3||Pizzino S||15/23/0||Open||$138.00||F 06:00 PM-06:54 PM RC465
F 07:00 PM-09:54 PM RC425
| ||120||217259||Foun Hlth Info Mgmt||RC||3||Pizzino S||24/24/0||Open||$138.00||T 06:00 PM-07:54 PM RC425
T 08:00 PM-09:54 PM RC465
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday