Health Information Technology - HIT 162
Professional Practice Experience Simulation
2 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours2 Laboratory Hours
This course provides the Health Information student with simulated professional practice experience (PPE). The student will have the opportunity to observe and interact with Health Information Management professionals in a variety of healthcare settings both on-campus and off-campus. Virtual lab activities will be used to enhance the development of professional practices.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
(A course to be taken in the same semester as this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Describe the varied roles of the Health Information Management professional.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behavior.
- Manage health data within a system (such as data elements, data sets and databases).
- Conduct an analysis to ensure that documentation in the health record supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient's progress, clinical findings and discharge status.
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy and integrity of health data.
- Verify the documentation in the health record is timely, complete and accurate.
- Utilize secondary data sources.
- Use technology, including hardware and software, to ensure data collection, storage, analysis and reporting of information.
- Communicate effectively in person and through technology.
- Utilize common software applications such as spreadsheets, databases, word processing, graphics, presentation and email in the execution of work processes.
| ||162||217215||Prof Pract Expr Sim||RC||2||Chapo P||12/24/0||Open||$341.00||W 09:00 AM-10:54 AM RC465
W 11:00 AM-12:54 PM RC425
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday