Health Information Technology - HIT 234
Intermediate Ambulatory Coding
3 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours2 Laboratory Hours
This course includes advanced theory and practice in coding medical/health records in the hospital/ambulatory setting using Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) and Healthcare Financing Administration Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS). The student will analyze clinical data for the purpose of coding and reimbursement in the ambulatory setting including the physician office. Manual and computerized methods for code assignment will be used.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Interpret health record documentation to identify codable diagnostic and procedure statements resulting from a physician service.
- Assign procedure codes for physician and facility reimbursement using CPT/HCPCS.
- Determine applicable modifiers to be assigned to CPT/HCPCS codes.
- Adhere to current regulations and established guidelines in CPT/HCPCS code assignment.
- Evaluate the accuracy of CPT/HCPCS codes.
- Determine APCs using grouping software.
- Identify discrepancies between coded data and supporting documentation.
- Develop appropriate physician queries to resolve data and coding discrepancies.
- Utilize electronic applications and work processes to support clinical classification and coding.
| ||234||247260||Interm Ambulatory Coding||RC||3||Blackburn D||18/23/0||Open||$138.00||M 06:00 PM-07:54 PM RC485
M 08:00 PM-09:54 PM RC415
| ||234||217267||Interm Ambulatory Coding||RC||3||Blackburn D||9/24/0||Open||$138.00||W 06:00 PM-07:54 PM RC465
W 08:00 PM-09:54 PM RC415
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday