Metallurgy and Materials Science - MET 103
Introduction to Materials Science
3 Credit Hours3 Lecture Hours1 Laboratory Hours
This course provides a broad introduction to materials science. Using the scientific method, the physical, mechanical and chemical properties of metallic, polymeric, ceramic and composite materials are related to their atomic structure and bonding.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Examine the scientific method of discovery.
- Apply standard formulas to convert units of measurement.
- Explain how atoms, ions and molecules bond to form the building blocks for all materials.
- Classify the three states of matter.
- Calculate the density of solid materials based on mass and volume measurements.
- Calculate mechanical properties of materials based on load-extension data.
- Examine methods used for measuring mechanical properties including hardness and strength.
- Examine methods used for measuring physical properties including thermal conductivity, thermal expansion and electrical conductivity.
- Examine methods used for measuring chemical properties including corrosion behavior.
- Explore the physical, mechanical and chemical behavior of metallic materials.
- Explore the physical, mechanical and chemical behavior of polymeric materials.
- Explore the physical, mechanical and chemical behavior of ceramic materials.
- Explore the mechanical, chemical and physical behavior of composite materials.
- Explore the mechanical, chemical and physical behavior of electrical materials.
- Explore the mechanical, chemical and physical behavior of natural materials, including wood and concrete.
- Explore common destructive and non-destructive evaluation methods.
| ||103||544943||Intro Materials Sci||MEC||3||Fohey D||7/16/0||Open||$188.00||M W 10:00 AM-11:54 AM MEC250
| ||103||544944||Intro Materials Sci||MEC||3||Fohey D||11/16/0||Open||$188.00||M W 03:00 PM-04:54 PM MEC250
| ||103||544945||Intro Materials Sci||MEC||3||Fohey D||13/16/0||Open||$188.00||T R 12:00 PM-01:54 PM MEC250
| ||103||544946||Intro Materials Sci||MEC||3||Fohey D||14/16/0||Open||$188.00||T R 03:00 PM-04:54 PM MEC250
| ||103||544955||Intro Materials Sci||MEC||3||Fohey D||6/16/0||Open||$188.00||W F 06:00 PM-07:54 PM MEC250
| ||103||514935||Intro Materials Sci||MEC||3||Fohey D||12/16/0||Open||$188.00||T R 03:00 PM-04:54 PM MEC250
| ||103||514936||Intro Materials Sci||MEC||3||Fohey D||15/16/0||Open||$188.00||T R 12:00 PM-01:54 PM MEC250
| ||103||514945||Intro Materials Sci||MEC||3||Fohey D||13/16/0||Open||$188.00||M W 10:00 AM-11:54 AM MEC250
| ||103||514962||Intro Materials Sci||MEC||3||Bastarache M||12/16/0||Open||$188.00||M 06:00 PM-07:54 PM MEC250
M 08:00 PM-09:54 PM MEC100
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday