Welding - WELD 214
Preparation for Welder Certification in Pipe Welding
3 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours2 Laboratory Hours
Obtaining American Welding Society (AWS) Welder's Certification is desirable to gain acceptance into a welding-related skilled trade. Each skilled trade employment requires a unique certification, for which the student must learn skills needed for specific welding procedures and processes. This course addresses competencies needed to become certified as a pipe welder. Shielded Metal Arc Welding, Gas Metal Arc Welding and Gas Tungsten Arc Welding can be used to produce these pipe welds. This course will focus on developing the skills needed to successfully pass an appropriate AWS Certified Welder performance test. Tests may be taken on ferrous or non-ferrous material, along with passing a visual and destructive examination of their weldments. To receive credit in this class, students must successfully pass an AWS Certification test on a specified procedure required for their selected welding process.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the American Welding Society (A.W.S.) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (A.S.M.E.) Welder Qualification Examinations and Certifications.
- Prepare steel plates and pipe for certification welds.
- Utilize proper welding electrodes for certification welds.
- Determine proper amperages and voltages used with certification electrodes.
- Determine proper welding polarities for certification welding.
- Classify proper weld joints and joint qualifications used in a welding certification process.
- Demonstrate the proper inner pass cleaning procedure for multi pass certification welding.
- Demonstrate the ability to weld in and out of position using several arc welding processes on ferrous or nonferrous material.
- Demonstrate the ability to weld to a standard weld procedure.
- Examine welds for weld defects.
- Recognize weld discontinuities.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform destructive testing for certification welding.
Currently no sections of this class are being offered.
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday