Welding - WELD 225
Pre-Apprenticeship Welder Certification
3 Credit Hours1 Lecture Hours3 Laboratory Hours
Obtaining American Welding Society (AWS) Welder's Certification is desirable to gain acceptance into a welding-related skilled trade apprenticeship program. Each skilled trade apprenticeship requires a unique certification, for which the student must learn skills needed for specific welding procedures and processes. This course will focus on developing the skills needed to successfully pass an appropriate AWS Certified Welder performance test, along with passing a visual and destructive examination of their weldments. To receive credit in this class, students must successfully pass an AWS Certification test on a specified procedure required for their selected welding trade.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
- WELD 113 .
- WELD 115 .
- WELD 120 or may be taken concurrently.
- All prerequisites may be waived through consent of department.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of the American Welding Society (A.W.S.) and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (A.S.M.E.) Welder Qualification Examinations and Certifications.
- Prepare steel plates or pipe for certification welds.
- Utilize proper welding electrodes for certification welds.
- Determine proper amperages and voltages used with certification electrodes.
- Determine proper welding polarities for certification welding.
- Classify proper weld joints and joint qualifications used in a welding certification process.
- Demonstrate the proper inner pass cleaning procedure for multi pass certification welding.
- Demonstrate the ability to weld in and out of position using the Shield Metal-Arc Welding process.
- Demonstrate the ability to weld in and out of position using the Flux Core Arc Welding process.
- Examine welds for weld defects.
- Recognize weld discontinuities.
| ||225||548160||Pre-Apprenticeship||MEC||3||Lanczak P||7/16/0||Open||$313.00||F 06:00 PM-07:54 PM MEC440
F 08:00 PM-09:54 PM MEC420
| ||225||517156||Pre-Apprenticeship||MEC||3||Lanczak P||8/15/0||Open||$313.00||F 06:00 PM-06:54 PM MEC420
F 07:00 PM-09:54 PM MEC430
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday