News Archive

Important Note: We have a new website location for college news. The listing below is an older archive, and you can find the latest news at

Understanding Schoolcraft to U™ and the Michigan Transfer Agreement

August 10, 2020

Bell Tower icon surrounded by text that reads Say What? Learning the lingo

Learning, of course, is the goal of any college experience. Part of that learning is understanding some terms that might be unfamiliar. Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.

As part of an occasional series, we’ll explain phrases, lingo or topics to add to your college vocabulary. We call it “Say What?” If there’s a topic you’d like to see covered, please send suggestions to

Today we’ll dive into Schoolcraft to U™ and the Michigan Transfer Agreement. Before we get started, please know that your academic advisor is your best resource for more information, exploring your options and getting you on your path to success.

What is Schoolcraft to U™?

Many Schoolcraft College students start here with a goal of earning a bachelor’s degree at a four-year college or university. It’s a great strategy for many reasons, including:

  • Costs per credit-hour are much lower at Schoolcraft than at a four-year school.
  • May not be feasible to move away just yet because of financial or family issues.
  • Might be easier to work and take classes while still at home.

Think of Schoolcraft to U™ as the overall strategy or road map to help you develop an academic plan to meet that goal. Schoolcraft to U™ shows Transfer Guides and Articulation Agreements, also sometimes called Special Transfer Agreements, with Michigan four-year institutions that show the classes that prepare you to transfer.

Essentially, these guides and agreements mean that a course you take here fulfills course requirements there. Again, your academic advisor can help you determine which Schoolcraft courses transfer to a specific program based on the agreement in place. These agreements make sure you take as many credits as possible at Schoolcraft before transferring.

What is the Michigan Transfer Agreement?

If you’re interested in eventually attending a four-year school in Michigan, the Michigan Transfer Agreement can help. This agreement allows you to complete your core or general education classes at Schoolcraft first (again, this is usually much more cost-effective) instead of at a four-year school. You could accomplish this in just one year at Schoolcraft.

The MTA is a statewide agreement that provides for the transfer of 30 college credits to meet many (and in some cases all) of the general education requirements at participating Michigan four-year colleges and universities. General education is a part of every associate or bachelor’s degree.

The general education requirements include courses in English, Social Sciences, Humanities and Fine Arts, Natural Sciences and Mathematics. You can complete these as part of an associate degree or as a standalone MTA endorsement. Some stipulations apply, so work with your Schoolcraft College academic advisor to select the right courses.

You must have 30 or more total credits from the MTA courses with grades of 2.0 or higher.

After completing the requirements, students can request the MTA endorsement by emailing Please include your name and Schoolcraft student ID number. Visit their website for a link and PDF of the MTA requirements.

Learn more about Schoolcraft to U™ and the Michigan Transfer Agreement here.

And remember to talk to your SC academic advisor!