News Archive

Important Note: We have a new website location for college news. The listing below is an older archive, and you can find the latest news at https://www.schoolcraft.edu/news/.

Retiring Chef Offers Cranberry Nut Bread Recipe

November 16, 2020

Chef Jeffrey Gabriel

To help with your holiday baking ideas, Jeffrey Gabriel, Certified Master Chef, has provided a recipe for Cranberry Nut Bread.

Chef Gabriel is retiring at the end of the Winter 2021 semester after serving as a full-time faculty member since 1987, including a stint as the Director of the Culinary Arts program. He is a graduate of the Culinary Institute of America, where he studied following service in the U.S. Navy as a baker aboard the USS Bryce Canyon.

After working as Chef Garde Manger at the Detroit Athletic Club, he served as Executive Chef at the Grosse Pointe Yacht Club, La Becasse, Les Auteurs, The Little Club on Harsens Island, Franklin Hills Country Club and Hucks Lakeshore. He also created and owned the Farm Restaurant in Port Austin, Michigan, for 17 years.

Chef Gabriel has been a member of several Culinary Olympic teams and won several Olympic gold medals, including two with distinction. He has also won 10 ACF medals.

“Schoolcraft College has been my life, my home and, most of all, my friend,” Chef Gabriel said. “I have had the opportunity to witness so much of the professional growth, development and high standards of the Culinary Arts department and how this instrumentally impacted our industry beyond for years and years.

Cranberry Nut Bread

“I am very proud to say I was involved in this prestigious program.”

Chef Gabriel positively influenced thousands of students during his career. Kristen McManus, a recent graduate, said, “Chef Gabriel is a master of all things bread. Chef Gabriel taught me more about bread in five weeks than I had ever thought I could learn.”

It was a passion he truly enjoyed.

“I will miss the students and all the beautiful people of this college very much,” Chef Gabriel said.

Cranberry Nut Bread Recipe (yields about 3 small loaves)
Ingredient Amount Bakers %
All-purpose flour 13 oz. 100
Granulated sugar 10 oz. 76.9
Baking powder (double-acting) ½ oz. 3.8
Salt ¼ oz. 1.9
Grated orange peel 1 tsp. 1
Whole eggs 2.5 oz. 17.3
Vegetable oi 2.5 oz. 19.2
Fluid milk 10 oz. 75
Frozen or fresh chopped cranberries 7.5 oz. 57.7
Chopped walnuts 3 oz. 21.2

Method:

1. Thoroughly blend flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and orange peel.
  2. Whisk eggs, oil and milk together and add to blended dry ingredients. Mix until dry ingredients are moistened.
  3. Add cranberries and nuts, mix.
  4. Fill into greased loaf pans 2/3 full.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for about 55 to 60 minutes or until bread tests done.