News Archive

Important Note: We have a new website location for college news. The listing below is an older archive, and you can find the latest news at

Take That First Step In Creating a Vital Foundation With General Education Courses

December 14, 2020

Student studying on laptop

Let’s say you’re interested in continuing your education at Schoolcraft College. You know you want to do SOMETHING, but aren’t sure quite yet what that something is. Just figuring out that first step can be a bit overwhelming.

Don’t worry – we can help. If you’re ready to step on the path – even if you’re not sure yet where it will take you – general education (gen ed) classes are a great way to start.

General education classes create the foundation of any career you’d like to pursue. For example, all Associate of Applied Science degrees awarded by Schoolcraft College require:

  • 2 English communication courses
  • 1 humanities course
  • 1 math course
  • 1 science course
  • 1 social science course

The Associate of Applied Science, or AAS, generally takes two years to complete. Within these core courses, you have quite a few options.

Humanities courses include:

  • Foreign languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Spanish)
  • Art
  • Communications
  • History
  • Humanities
  • Literature
  • Music
  • Philosophy
  • Theater

Science courses include:

  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Geography
  • Geology
  • Nutrition and Food Science
  • Physics

Social sciences courses include:

  • Anthropology
  • Economics
  • Geography
  • History
  • Political science
  • Psychology
  • Sociology

You are not alone – we can help

Your Academic Advisor is your best resource for navigating your path forward. Again, if you’re not sure what that path is just yet, that’s OK, too. Academic Advisors can help with academic, career and transfer questions. They can help you define your goals, identify appropriate majors to reach that goal and create an academic plan for each step.

So remember, once you’re admitted, get started on selecting your general education classes to start creating your own path to success.

Did you know?

  • High school students can take general education courses as a Dual Enrollment student
  • College students can take general education courses as a Guest Student to transfer to their home school (see your Academic Advisor for details)

How to get in touch with an Academic Advisor

Advisors are available to meet with students by phone as well as limited in-person options. Please call 734-462-4429 (option 4) to arrange for an advising session. You also can send an email to and someone will get back to you shortly.