News Archive

Important Note: We have a new website location for college news. The listing below is an older archive, and you can find the latest news at https://www.schoolcraft.edu/news/.

Student Wins Early Childhood Education Scholarship

June 01, 2021

Zena Maghamez

Zena Maghamez, a Schoolcraft College student in the Early Childhood Education AAS degree program, has been awarded the 2021 Michigan Association for the Education of Young Children (MiAEYC) Brian White Early Childhood Education Scholarship of $1,000.

“The scholarship award is a lovely tribute to all of Zena's effort and achievement as she pursues her educational and professional goals,” said Dr. Jane Windell, Director, Early Childhood & Special Education. “Zena works at the Jackson Early Childhood Center, which is part Livonia Public Schools. In addition, the scholarship award highlights the quality of education that students receive at Schoolcraft.”  

Maghamez was very thankful for the award.

"I would like to thank the Michigan Association for the Education of Young Children for awarding the scholarship to me,” she said. “In addition, I would like to thank my family and my early childhood education professors for supporting me.

“At Schoolcraft, I learned that positivity and caring are vital when caring for young children.  As an early childhood teacher, I can scaffold children’s learning by modeling good behavior myself, celebrating differences, and believing in children’s abilities."

About the scholarship

The Brian White Early Childhood Education Scholarship was established to honor the legacy of former Michigan AEYC President Brian White. The scholarship is meant to recognize and encourage students enrolled in associate degree programs who choose a career in early childhood education, working with, and on behalf of young children birth through age 8, to take leadership positions in the field.

Learn more about Schoolcraft College’s Early Childhood program.