All submissions must be sent through Submittable.
Our reading period is September 1 through June 30. Please allow up to 16 weeks for a response.
- We do not accept previously published work (either in print or online).
- No cover letters are required. The information you include in the Submittable form will suffice.
- We accept simultaneous submissions if informed. We expect prompt notification if the work is accepted elsewhere. Manuscripts may be withdrawn until we send an acceptance notification to you.
- We do not consider translations.
- Do not send revisions unless our editors have requested them.
- All files must be sent as .doc, .docx, or .rtf. We will not make any edits to your submission without informing you first. Authors whose work is accepted will receive galley proofs before publication.
- Please use Times New Roman 12pt. For work that requires specific spacing/formatting, use Palatino or Book Antiqua.
- The MacGuffin is published by Schoolcraft College. Upon publication, all publishing rights revert back to the author. Contributors receive two copies.
- We will consider up to five poems at a time.
- All poems must be submitted in one file with each poem beginning on a new page.
- Poems up to 200 lines will be considered.
Fiction and Creative Nonfiction
- We will consider no more than two pieces of fiction, creative nonfiction, or one of each, at a time. When sending multiple works, please send them in separate Submittable forms.
- Submissions must be double-spaced with 1” margins all around.
- The maximum word count is 5000 words.
- All artwork must be at least 2700p in height and 1800p in width, and submitted as a .png, .tiff, or .jpg.
- Artists may send up to 10 works per submission. Please wait to hear back from us before sending more work.