Health Information Technology - HIT 224
Quality Management in Healthcare
2 Credit Hours2 Lecture Hours1 Laboratory Hours
This course is designed for the student to review methods by which a healthcare organization measures, assesses and improves the quality, safety and effectiveness of healthcare services. Topics explored include traditional quality assessment, performance improvement methodologies, utilization/resource/case management, risk management, infection control, credentialing and the role of oversight agencies. Patient satisfaction as an important and commonly used indicator for measuring the quality in health care will also be covered. Lab activities will include data abstraction and analysis for quality reporting and use of electronic applications.
(A requirement that must be completed before taking this course.)
Upon successful completion of the course, the student should be able to:
- Determine the components of a comprehensive quality management program.
- Collaborate with staff in preparing the organization for accreditation, licensure and/or certification.
- Summarize a collection methodology for data to guide strategic and organizational management.
- Utilize quality improvement tools and techniques to monitor, report and improve processes.
- Abstract data for facility-wide outcomes reporting for quality management and performance improvement programs.
- Identify cost-saving and efficient means of achieving work processes and goals.
- Analyze clinical data to identify trends that demonstrate quality, safety and effectiveness of healthcare.
- Contribute to quality-related work teams and committees.
- Perform utilization management activities using screening criteria.
- Apply policies and procedures to ensure the accuracy and integrity of health data both internal and external to the health system.
- Assess how cultural issues affect health, healthcare quality, cost and health information management.
| ||224||247267||Quality Mgmt Hlth||RC||2||Fitzpatrick K||10/23/0||Open||$138.00||W 06:00 PM-08:54 PM RC465
W 06:00 PM-08:54 PM RC415
| ||224||217277||Quality Mgmt Hlth||RC||2||Fitzpatrick K||24/24/0||Open||$138.00||R 06:00 PM-08:54 PM RC465
R 06:00 PM-08:54 PM RC425
Key: Day of the Week
- T = Tuesday
- R = Thursday
- S = Saturday
- X = Sunday